Dimbola Lodge

< Back to the map (alternative version) or index list.

The Camerons moved to the Isle of Wight in 1860, choosing to settle in a property adjoining the Farringford estate which they christened ‘Dimbola’.

Dimbola Lodge

A special gate was installed at the back of the grounds so that Tennyson could walk between Farringford & Dimbola unharassed by pesky members of the public.

Gate between Farringford House and Dimbola Lodge

A postcard from around 1905 showing the gate.

Following the Camerons’ arrival in Freshwater on the Isle of Wight in 1860, Dimbola Lodge quickly became the social hub of the village.

Julia Margaret Cameron's bedroom.

Julia Margaret Cameron’s bedroom.

Dimbola Lodge was saved from the bulldozers at the last minute in the 1990s.  Today it is a museum with permanent exhibitions of Julia Margaret Cameron’s work, contemporary photography & the Cameron Tearooms.

Dimbola Lodge today

Dimbola Lodge today.